HLS Dorm Cancellation Policy
- Prior to June 1: no penalty or fee of any kind
- June 1 – June 30: $500 cancellation fee, but no liability for rent
- July 1 and after: $500 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until re-rental in which case the cost will be $500 plus the pro-rated fee
Students are officially responsible for the room once they sign the HLS Housing contract. No penalties will ever be applied if a student does not sign a housing contract.
HLS Apartments Cancellation Policy
Students who apply for and are confirmed for an apartment in the HLS Apartments (1637 Massachusetts Avenue, 3 Mellen Street, and Baker Hall) are fully liable and responsible for the apartment once they have received a confirmation email from the Dean of Students Office and signed the lease, both of which occur during the spring term. Students who have received a confirmation e-mail and signed the lease for an apartment and then decide to cancel are subject to the $500 cancellation penalty and the cost of the unit until it is re-rented. The HUH exception does not apply for rental of a unit in the HLS Apartments; neither do the tiered cancellations mentioned above for the HLS Residence Halls.
Exceptions to the Cancellation Policies
Students who have a confirmed room or apartment, but will not be enrolled at Harvard Law School, may be granted an exception to the cancellation penalties. This includes:
- deferring admission to Harvard Law School
- withdrawing or declining admission to Harvard Law School
- an approved leave of absence
- study abroad / joint degree program, which will cause student to not be in attendance at Harvard Law School
Students must contact the Dean of Students Office at firstname.lastname@example.org promptly in order for the penalty fee not to be charged.
Cancelling your Room
To cancel your 2013-2014 HLS dorm or apartment:
To cancel your HLS dorm prior to June 1, 2013:
- Log in to HAHLS
- Select “Application” from the top navigation
- Select Academic Year 2013-2014 or Spring 2014 Only, depending on what application you originally applied to
- Save and Continue
- Select “Cancel Application,” which is above the top navigation all the way to the right
- Select “Cancel Application” at the bottom of the page
If you need to cancel your 2012-2013 HLS dorm or apartment on or after June 1, 2013, please contact email@example.com.