The following websites include information about various events in the general Cambridge/Boston area.
- Boston.com’s Arts + Entertainment Section
- Boston Phoenix
- Weekly Dig
- Boston Public Library
- Fanueil Hall / Quincy Market
- Fenway Park
- Harvard University Art Museums
- JFK Library
- Walden Pond
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Musem of Science
- New England Aquarium
- Sam Adams Brewery
- The Skywalk at the Prudential Center
he Pub Café is open for breakfast and lunch for the summer hours of operation: Monday- Friday 8:00 AM-2:30PM The Terrace Grill Opens June 8th! (weather permitting) Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm.
There are many restaurants within walking distance of HLS, and many more in the greater Boston area. Information about some local restaurants is listed below.
- Au Bon Pain aubonpain.com 1360 Massachusetts Ave – 617.497.9797
- Mr. Bartley’s Burger Cottage mrbartley.com $820 1246 Mass. Ave – 6173546559
- b.good bgood.com $20 24 Dunster St. – 6173546559
- Cambridge Common cambridgecommonrestaurant.com $10201667 Mass. Ave – 6175471228
- Charlie’s Kitchen charlieskitchen.com $1020 10 Eliot St. – 6174929646
- Christopher’s Restaurant & Bar christopherscambridge.com 1920 Mass. Ave – 6178769180
- Craigie Street Bistro craigieonmain.com $45 and up, 5 Craigie Cir. – 6174975511
- Daedalus daedalusharvardsquare.com $1530 45.5 Mt. Auburn St. – 6173490071
- Darwin’s Ltd. Darwinsltd.com $10 or less 148 Mt. Auburn St. - 6173545233
- Fire + Ice, fireice.com $1530 1230 Mass. Ave – 6175479007
- Flat Patties, $510 81 Mt. Auburn St - 6178716871
- Grafton Street graftonstreetcambridge.com $2030 1230 Mass. Ave – 6174970400
- Grendel’s Den grendelsden.com $2030 89 Winthrop St. – 6174911160
- Harvest harvestcambridge.com $3045 44 Brattle St - 6178682255
- Henrietta’s Table henriettastable.com $3045 1 Bennett St - 6176615005
- John Harvard’s Brew House johnharvards.com $1020 33 Dunster St. – 6178683585
- OM omrestaurant.com $30 92 Winthrop St - 6175762800
- Noir noirbar.com $1520 1 Bennett St. – 6176618010
- Rafiki Bistro rafikibistro.com $1020 1682 Mass Ave – 6176617810
- The Red House theredhouse.com $2030 98 Winthrop St. – 6175760605
- Rialto rialtorestaurant.com $35 and up 1 Bennett St. – 6176615050
- Temple Bar templebarcambridge.com $1530 1688 Mass. Ave – 6175475055
- Tommy Doyle’s tommydoyles.com $10 or less 96 Winthrop St. – 6178640655
- Tory Row toryrow.us $1020 3 Brattle St. – 6178768769
- T.W. Food twfoodrestaurant.com $2035 377 Walden St - 6178644745
- Upstairs on the Square upstaironsthesquare.com $45 and up 91 Winthrop St. – 6178641933
- West Side Lounge westsidelounge.com $1530 1680 Mass. Ave – 6174415566
Coffees & Teas
- Algier’s Coffee House 40 Brattle St., Cambridge 6174921557
- Dunkin’ Donuts www.dunkindonuts.com
1) 1 White Street, Cambridge 6173548336
2) 65 JFK Street, Cambridge 6173545096
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea 100 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge 6174921844 www.peets.com
- Starbucks 1662 Mass. Ave., Cambridge 6174910442 www.starbucks.com
- Tealuxe 0 Brattle St., Cambridge 6174410077 www.tealuxe.com
- 7Eleven 40 JFK St., Cambridge 6178648095 www.7eleven.com
- C’est Bon Convenience 1436 Mass Ave., Cambridge 6176611709
- Louie’s Superette 26 Surrey St., Cambridge 6178766856
- Montrose Spa 1646 Mass. Ave., Cambridge 6175475053
- University Market 1105 Mass. Ave., Cambridge 6174925351
Food – Grocers
- Formaggio Kitchen 244 Huron Ave., Cambridge 6173544750 www.formaggiokitchen.com
- Harvest Coop Markets 581 Mass. Ave., Cambridge 6176611580 www.harvestcoop.com
- Star/Shaws Market www.shaws.com
1) 49 White St., Cambridge 6174925566
2) 699 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge 6178761450
3) 20 Sidney St., Cambridge 6174945250
- Trader Joe’s 748 Memorial Dr., Cambridge 6174918582 www.traderjoes.com
- Peapod Grocery Delivery 18005PEAPOD www.peapod.com
Food – Health
- Cambridge Naturals 23 White Street., Porter Sq., Cambridge 6174924452 www.cambridgenaturals.com
- Whole Foods Market www.wholefoodsmarket.com
1) 115 Prospect St., Cambridge 6174920070
2) 200 Alewife Brook Parkway, Cambridge 6174910040
3) 340 River Street Cambridge 6178766990
Restaurant Search Websites
- Best of the Web Boston
- Boston.com’s Food Section
- Cambridge Office for Tourism’s Restaurant Guide
- Citysearch Boston
- DiningGuide Boston
- MenuPix Boston
- On The Cheap
- The Phantom Gourmet
- Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle St, Cambridge
- Capitol Theatre, 204 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington
- Harvard Film Archive, 24 Quincy St, Cambridge
- Kendall Square Cinema, 1 Kendall Square, Cambridge
- Loews Fresh Pond 10, 168 Alewife Brook Pkwy, Cambridge
- Loews Harvard Square 5, 10 Church St, Cambridge
- MIT Film Series, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Somerville Theatre, 55 Davis Square, Somerville
- AMC Fenway 13, 401 Park Drive, Boston
- Boston Public Library West End Film Series, 151 Cambridge St, Boston
- Coolidge Corner Theatre, 290 Harvard St, Brookline
- Loews Boston Common, 175 Tremont St, Boston
- Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave, Boston
- Museum of Science Mugar Omni Theatre and 3D Theatre, Science Park, Boston
- New England Aquarium IMAX, Central Wharf, Boston
- Harvard Museums
- Children’s Museum
- Franklin Park Zoo
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- JFK Library
- MIT Museum
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Museum of Science
- New England Aquarium
- USS Constitution Museum
Sports Events and Recreation
- Baseball: Boston Red Sox
- Hockey: Boston Bruins
- Basketball: Boston Celtics
- Football: New England Patriots
- Soccer: New England Revolution
The Shuttle Bus is designed to provide students, faculty and staff with safe, convenient transportation on the Cambridge and Allston campuses throughout the academic year, except during recesses and a slightly reduced service during the January Term. The service is free to members of the Harvard community.
There are several routes that zigzag throughout Harvard University’s campuses. For the complete schedule, click here.
Pocket-sized schedules are available throughout the campuses, including the Information Center located in the Holyoke Center arcade, House offices, libraries, dining halls, and shuttle buses. For more information, call 617.495.0400.
The Medical School Shuttle (M2) is operated by MASCO (Medical, Academic, Scientific, and Community Organization) year-round, Monday through Saturday, between Johnston Gate and the Longwood Medical Area. For schedule information, please call 632-2800. Tickets and passes may be purchased in advance at 350 Longwood Avenue or at the Cash Receipts Office, 368 Holyoke Center. Medical students may ride free by showing a valid HMS photo ID to the driver.
The Daytime Van Service is intended for persons who, because of mobility impairment or medical condition, find it difficult or impossible to use the regular shuttle bus. Transportation is door to door within the Cambridge and Allston campuses. Rides in the van are by appointment only. All law school student riders must be authorized in advance by Cathleen Collins in the Dean of Students Office 617-496-2467 or ccollins @ law. Service times vary for academic, weekend, summer, and recess periods. Please call 617-495-0400 for specific service times and reservation requirements.
Evening Van Service (617.495.0400)
Available to Harvard University students, faculty, and staff. Available from 7:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. seven days a week. Last call must be received by 2:30 a.m. 617-495-0400, (TTY#) 617-496-6642 or email email@example.com.
The Evening Van Service is an on-call service designed to transport students safely about Cambridge as a supplement to the shuttle bus system. The Evening Van services Cambridge within the boundaries of Inman Square, Porter Square and Central Square. No advance arrangements are needed. Service operates throughout the academic year.
Available to Harvard Law Students only. This taxi service supplements the Harvard Evening Van Service. Students within the bounds of the Harvard Evening Van Service are expected to call the van. Students who live in Cambridge (beyond Central, Inman or Porter Squares) or Somerville may pick up a voucher at the Langdell Circulation Desk after 7pm during Circulation Desk Hours for use the same evening (students may use the service until 1am but must collect the voucher at the Circulation Desk before it closes). Students must show their HUID to the Circulation Desk Attendant and must sign their name and their HUID # on the log.
Town Taxi will pick up students in the Lewis Lot (1557 Mass Ave.) between 7pm and 1am and take law students to Somerville and the parts of Cambridge not serviced by the Evening Van Service. Students must write the drop-off location on the voucher. Gratuities are automatically handled between Harvard and Town Taxi. Voucher receipts are reviewed monthly.
Use of the taxi vouchers for anything other than transportation from Harvard Law School to Somerville or an address outside the Evening Van Service boundaries in Cambridge and between 7pm and 1am will result in loss of taxi privileges and may subject students to disciplinary action through the Administrative Board.
Transportation Services provides free on-campus emergency road service for faculty, staff, students, and visitors who need help charging a dead battery, changing a tire, or retrieving keys that have been locked inside a car. This service is available between 8am and midnight, Monday through Friday (except University holidays). Please call (617-496-HELP).
Harvard students, faculty and staff can join Zipcar for only $25/year! Join Zipcar and get access to all of our cars – 24/7. Rent MINIs, VWs, hybrids and more – by the hour ($8.50/hour) or day ($60/day). Rates include gas, insurance and designated parking. Simply reserve online, let yourself in with your Zipcard and drive away. Harvard students, faculty and staff pay no application fee, no monthly minimum, no membership deposit. You only need to be 21+ to join. Zipcars are available all over Boston, New York and Washington DC.
The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA or simply the “T”) runs a massive network of public transportation options. They’re also using better and better technology on their website to make their services easier to use. For example, you can use the trip planner to provide a starting and ending location and find the best public transit route in between accessing all MBTA services. You can also download the latest schedules for routes you use regularly to your Palm device or Pocket PC and be able to check the next three buses, trains, etc. at any time.
In concert with the MBTA, Harvard Law School offers students the opportunity to sign-up for the MBTA Semester Pass Program at a discount of 25%.
Cambridge Taxi Cab – www.cambridgecab.com – (617) 252-3333 & (617) 259-6668
Ambassador Brattle Taxi and Yellow Cab – www.brattlecourier.com – (617) 492-1100
Cambridge Checker Cab – (617) 497-1500
Cambridge Cab Co – (617) 498-0006
Cambridge Union Taxi – (617) 661-2500
The information on this page has been researched and provided by the Dean of Students office. If you find that any of this information is no longer current, or if you have additional questions that are not answered here, please send an email to dos @ law.