Child and Youth Advocates (CYA) brings together students interested in a wide variety of children’s issues, including education, juvenile justice, child welfare, and children’s rights. We aim to heighten awareness and encourage discussion of these issues at HLS, facilitate student involvement with children and youth in Cambridge and Boston, and advocate for children’s rights in various contexts.
Some recent CYA projects and activities from the 2013-2014 academic year included:
- Lunch talk with Judge Cohen on reform of Florida dependency courts
- Lunch talk with Crispin Birnbaum, General Counsel of DYS (Department of Youth Services)
- Lunch discussion with Judge Llinet Rosado of the Bronx Family Court
- Lunch talk with Scott Rankin from Youth Advocacy Center on juvenile defense
- Lunch event with Emily Heaton from Adoption and Foster Care Mentoring
- Lunch discussion with Elizabeth Armstrong, Deputy Director of the Child Advocate
- Joint Series on Juvenile Justice
- Compiled trick or treat bags for children at a local homeless shelter
- CYA happy hours
We are a close community of students passionate about issues affecting children, and we invite you to join us! For more information about CYA, contact Yorda Yenenh at firstname.lastname@example.org or Divya Subrahmanyam at email@example.com.