Orrick Pro-Bono Fellowship 2014-15: Apply Now!
Orrick currently has an excellent opportunity in the New York (or Bay Area) office for a Pro Bono Fellowship. The Fellow will work between September 15, 2014 and September 14, 2015, with the possibility of extending the fellowship for at least another year. This is a full-time position.
The Pro Bono Fellow will be a critical member of Orrick’s dynamic Pro Bono Department. The Orrick Fellow will be expected to choose an area of law to devote the majority of his or her practice to, working with, among others, the firm’s pro bono counsel. Special consideration will be given to applicants who have a background and/or interest in the firm’s innovative impact finance initiative which provides support to social entrepreneurs, impact investors and others in the impact investing space. In addition to devoting approximately 80% of his or her time to this area of specialty, the Pro Bono Fellow will work closely with the Pro Bono Counsel to manage the firm’s entire global Pro Bono Department and develop project opportunities for Orrick attorneys in the U.S. Further, the Orrick Fellow will be expected to support the Pro Bono Counsel with administrative tasks relating to the firm’s pro bono program.
• High academic achievement and professional accomplishment.
• Served a judicial clerkship or has been actively working in the field of public interest law preferred; though qualified third-year law students will be strongly considered.
• Admitted to the Bar of New York, Washington DC, or California, but not required.
• Demonstrated commitment to an area of public interest legal work.
• Superb organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Ability to handle multiple projects.
• Professional demeanor.
• Experience in leadership roles, managing projects and other team members.
• Capacity to think strategically and execute plans in a timely basis.
• Basic knowledge of legal Pro Bono community in and around the cities where we work, including the various players and roles, as well as the legal concepts and issues.
• Responds promptly to attorney and/or staff needs and solicits feedback to improve service; meets commitments.
• Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills (professional and computer); shares expertise with others.
• Knowledge of spreadsheet software, word processing software, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office required.
Orrick is a top ranked global law firm. Founded in San Francisco 150 years ago, Orrick today has offices in 25 cities worldwide. We win high-stakes cases and counsel on innovative transactions, with particular strength in the technology, energy & infrastructure and financial sectors. American Lawyer recently named us to its 10-year “A-List” – in recognition of the firm’s consistently strong financial performance and our culture of collaboration and community service. Orrick offers a friendly work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Please visit www.orrick.com for more information about the firm.
To submit your Orrick Pro Bono Position Application, resume, and cover letter for this position, please visit our Paralegal and Professional Staff listing at www.orrick.com/careers/ (no phone calls please). Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter.