The National Lawyers Guild is dedicated to the need for basic change in the structure of our political and economic system. It seeks to unite the lawyers, law students, legal workers and jailhouse lawyers to function as an effective force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests.
The NLG’s aim is to bring together all those who recognize the importance of safeguarding and extending the rights of workers, women, farmers, people with disabilities and people of color, upon whom the welfare of the entire nation depends; who seek actively to eliminate racism; who work to maintain and protect our civil rights and liberties in the face of persistent attacks upon them; and who look upon the law as an instrument for the protection of the people, rather than for their repression.
Activities the NLG is working on for next year include:
- A Disorientation Workshop for incoming students.
- A radical reading group.
- Street Law Clinic workshops on workers’ rights, housing, and immigrants’ rights in local communities.
- Legal observing at protests.
- Talks by progressive lawyers and advocates.
- Throwing parties with radical students and lawyers.