The Meat We Eat:
2014 Forum on Animal Agriculture
Fri, Apr 4
Harvard Food Law Society and HLS SALDF team up for a day-long conference on factory farming
Sign up here!
Free for students, small price for others
‘The Time the FBI Called My Dissertation Research
a National Security Threat’
Scholarly Inquiry, Political Dissent, & FOIA
With MIT’s Ryan Shapiro
Thur, Apr 24, noon
Wasserstein Hall, 1019
Previous Events & Activities
- PETA counsel Jared Goodman presented, “Making the Case Against Killer Whales in Captivity,” on March 5, 2014. Generously sponsored by Amsterdam Falafelshop, VegFund, and Prof Abrams
- Katrina Sharman, the former Corporate Counsel and future non-executive director of one of Australia’s leading animal protection organizations, Voiceless, spoke about the state of animal law in Australia.
- Howard Abrams, Visiting HLS Tax Professor. On Nov 25, 2013, 85 people packed into a Harvard Law classroom to watch, “Free as a Bird?” a talk by visiting Emory tax professor Howard Abrams on animal rights, libertarianism, and cats. Guests devoured delicious falafel sandwiches, and the Harvard Crimson covered the event: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/11/25/abrams-animal-rights-talk/.
- Nick Cooney, Mercy for Animals. On Nov 4, 2013, HLS SALDF hosted, “Legal Battles in the Food Industry: A Conversation with Nick Cooney from Farm Sanctuary.” Nick Cooney, founder of the Humane League and now employed by Farm Sanctuary (soon to work for Mercy for Animals), spoke about his involvement with activism and farm animals. Guests enjoyed free Indian food.
- Tabling at HLS: On November 6, 2013, HLS SALDF tabled at the Hark. We handed out 200 of HSUS’s “Meatless Meals” guides, and a ton of delicious vegan treats from Whole Foods!
- Harvard Law students attended the 2014 Ivy League Vegan Conference, at Princeton
- Pro-vegetarian leafleting: Repeated occasions, at undergrad and law school campuses. Contact us if you’d like to join sometime!
- Distinguished animal law professor, Gary Francione, spoke on animal rights and animal use at Boston’s Historic Old South Meeting House.
- David Wolfson, a partner at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley, & McCloy, advocates for animals, lectures at Columbia Law School, and is an Adjunct Professor of Animal Law at NYU Law School. He has given talks at HLS for the past several years on combining corporate law and animal law.
- Phone Banking to Protect Mother Pigs in NJ on Nov 16, 2013: students made calls to help NJ override a veto of a law introduced that would outlaw gestation crates for pregnant pigs.
- Screenings of Temple Grandin and The Cove.
- Trip to Maple Farm Animal Sanctuary.
- Future of Animal Law Conference.
- National Animal Law Competition.
- Repeated pro-animal leafleting days
- and more…