To the 1Ls, transfer students, LLMs, and SJDs, welcome to Harvard Law School! And, to the returning 2Ls and 3Ls, welcome back.
Who We Are – We are writing on behalf of the HLS Student Government, which is a body of 17 elected representatives and a 7-member Board of Directors, led by your President and Vice-President. Our mission is to represent and advocate for your student needs.
How to Get Involved – Over the next 2 weeks, students will elect seven 1Ls (one for each section), three 2Ls, three 3Ls, one transfer student, two LLMs, and one SJD to serve as representatives on the HLS Student Government.
Info Session (Tuesday, 9/20, 12:30-1:00pm, Lewis 302) – Please come to our info session on Tuesday to ask questions about candidate statements, elections, what we do, or how you can get involved in other ways. Pizza will be provided.
What Representatives Do – Student Government is an excellent way to get involved on campus. As a representative, your role can include:
- Brainstorming a new academic initiative or course registration issues
- Helping decide how funding for campus activities should be allocated
- Working with your favorite professor to set up a student-faculty dinner at their house
- Voting on the creation of new student organizations
- Meeting fellow leaders from other sections and classes at our meetings (twice a month)
Election Timeline – See below for a timeline. More information will be sent to those who submit candidate statements.
- Tuesday, 9/20, 12:30pm-1:00pm: Attend our optional information session (Lewis 302).
- Wednesday, 9/21, 5:30pm: You can begin to submit your 150-word candidate statement to email@example.com using your Harvard email account.
- Thursday, 9/22, 12:00pm NOON: Deadline to submit your candidate statement.
- Monday, 9/26: Candidate statements will be emailed to the students eligible to vote in your election (e.g., 1Ls can only vote for a representative for their respective sections, 2Ls can only vote for 2L reps).
- Thursday, 9/29, 9:00am-5:00pm: Voting occurs.
- Wednesday, 10/5, 7:30pm-8:45pm: Newly elected representatives will attend the first general meeting of the Student Government.
Contact Us – We always want to hear your thoughts about how we can improve our experience at HLS. Please feel free to meet with us about your concerns, or you can always e-mail us privately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, we’d love to have you this year, and we hope you’ll consider joining the team.