Meeting Minutes, 2/25

Budget: Jennifer Chan

  • Met with Darris re: budget. The DOS office did not account for many of our expenses, but now we should be caught up except for the Halfway through Harvard party.
    • SRB kickoff (~1000)
    • Thanksgiving (~4500)
    • Section 6 Pub Night (~500)
    • Halfway through Harvard (estimated at 1000)
    • We have approximately $7,800 left for events, but we are missing some receipts.

 

New events

  • Pub night? Queenshead was successful
    • Queenshead has offered to add in HLS-specific trivia if we want to do an HLS trivia night
    • Difficult to find a weekend when no symposiums, etc. are occurring.
      • March 7
      • Possibly plan one the week after spring break as well
      • Community involvement? “Giving Back”
        • Urban Debate League needs help – volunteering, event.
        • Looking for volunteer to help plan a bigger (non-Pub Night) event – contact Amanda Mindlin.
        • Supplement the DOS-provided support during finals?
          • Event for after exams? 1L sections do their own celebrations; LLM probably will.

 

Elections

  • Election committee: constitution requires 3 members from SRB, and 2 from general student body.
    • Student Body: two responses from email soliciting
      • Norman Greenberg (2L)
      • Anna Yuan (2L)
  • SRB members:
    • Tara Norris
    • Emily Cusick
    • David Husband
  • Will need to schedule a meeting with DOS about how the elections will run
  • Get word out to student body re: elections
  • Oversee any conflicts that arise over elections

 

Student Health Insurance

  • Students lose HUH insurance July 30 (after graduation), which is before students take the bar and begin jobs
  • Required that every school at the University is at the same schedule
  • Must end July 30 to allow for new students to get on health insurance
  • Alternative options
    • Cheap or free health insurance memberships
    • ABA: can get insurance for the summer after 3L year if you sign up while you are a student member
    • Dean Cosgrove will send the options to Lisa to pass along

 

Student Organization Funding: Valerie

  • March will be the time for student org funding requests for next year
  • 8-person board must review the funding requests
    • Must talk to organization leadership to give information about filling out the form for application
    • Valerie has met with Darris about simplifying the form and application
    • Meet 3 times in March for dinner to review the funding requests
    • Only student organizations – not SPOs or journals
    • Volunteers from SRB:
      • Paul Suitter
      • Andrew London
      • Any other interested persons should contact Valerie.
      • After these funding applications are processed, Valerie will work on filling in the SRB constitution to be more specific on the student organization issue
        • Will explain the process of forming new student groups

 

Tivli:

  • DOS did not know about this, but now are looking into it now.
  • Still get 4 basic networks and PBS

 

Resolution to hire more women and minority faculty memos: contact Ben Apple if interested.

Resolution to minimize use of fossil fuels (along with HKS and other Harvard schools): contact Ben Apple if interested in helping.

 

Harvard Graduate School Council

  • Leadership Summit: wants student leadership from each school (would like 3 people from SRB)
  • Leadership conference currently being planned, open to everyone
  • Mixer between graduate schools?

1L materials review

  • Dean Cosgrove has sent most of the information sent to 1Ls to Lisa
  • 1Ls still need to gather all of their documents from the beginning of the year
    • 1L reps, David, and Lisa will meet

 

Survey

  • Coffee issues: poll the following options:
    • Extend free morning coffee/ get refills until 10am or 11am.
    • Get rid of coffee and put in machine (like the one in Langdell)
    • Microwaves in the Hark
      • Not enough microwaves
      • Not strong enough
      • Survey will be sent to student body in the next week

 

Gmail migration

  • Some students still experiencing issues with forwarding even after they re-linked their personal and school accounts.

 

Next meeting

  • Tuesday, March 26 at 8pm

Present Members:

Emily Cusick

Jennifer Chan

Lisa Lana

Andrew London

David Husband

Ben Apple

Paul Suitter

Dahoud Askar

Valerie Duchesneau

Add Comment Register



Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Copyright The President & Fellows of Harvard College.